Salmon-Oat Hash with Celery & Apple
Photo: Jodi Pudge
By Lisa Howard
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup raw steel-cut oats
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 5-oz pouches cooked wild salmon
- 1 tsp dried dill
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 apple (Braeburn, Fuji or Pink Lady), chopped
- Chopped fresh dill or dried dill for garnish, optional
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-low for 1 minute. Add oats and onion and toast for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in boiling water. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer oats for 25 minutes. Check to see if oats have reached an al dente tenderness. If so, remove from heat; if not, continue simmering for another 3 minutes and check again.
- Let oats stand and thicken for 2 minutes before gently stirring in remaining ingredients. Divide salmon-oat hash among 4 plates, then garnish each with dill, if desired.
Nutrients per serving (1/2 cup oats, 4 oz salmon, 1/2 cup vegetables): Calories: 266, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Omega-3s: 1,850 mg, Omega-6s: 580 mg, Carbs: 22 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 24 g, Sodium: 197 mg, Cholesterol: 58 mg