Shaved Asparagus & White Bean Salad
Photo: Cara Lyons
By Cara Lyons
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus (about 1 lb each)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans or 2 15-oz BPA-free cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted walnuts (2 oz), lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- 1/4 cup slivered basil
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Hold each spear of asparagus by its thick stem and lay it down on a cutting board. Using a vegetable peeler, shave asparagus into long ribbons. Place ribbons in a large bowl and discard remaining stems. (NOTE: You should be left with about 1 lb shaved asparagus.) Drizzle oil over asparagus and toss to coat.
- Add onion, beans, orange and lemon juices, and vinegar. Toss to combine.
- Fold in walnuts, cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. This salad can be served immediately or prepared in advance; chill, covered, for 4 to 6 hours in refrigerator.
Nutrients per 3/4-cup serving: Calories: 171, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g,Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 17 g, Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 9 g, Sugars: 3 g, Sodium: 137 mg, Cholesterol: 6 mg
Toast your walnuts in a dry skillet on medium-low heat until lightly browned and fragrant. And, to easily shave cheese, use a vegetable peeler.