Southwest Meatball Skillet
Photo: Jodi Pudge
By Robin Miller
Find more one skillet suppers here!
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup frozen yellow or white corn
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg whites, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and mix well. Shape into 16 meatballs, each about the size of a golf ball.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add meatballs and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice and cumin and mix well. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Nutrients per serving (4 meatballs and 1 cup corn-bean mixture): Calories: 320, Total Fat: 4.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 32 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 37 g, Sodium: 340 mg, Cholesterol: 55 mg
To ensure your meatballs boast their best flavor, create a caramelized crust by first searing them on all sides until they’re golden brown.