Zucchini Noodles with Cherry Tomato Marinara
Photo: Maya Visnyei
By Ani Phyo
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 large zucchini, trimmed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered, optional
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- Working one piece at a time, secure zucchini into spiral slicer and turn crank to create angel hair noodles. (NOTE: Always read the directions for your spiral slicer as they vary by brand.) Transfer zucchini noodles to a large bowl and set aside.
- Prepare marinara sauce: In a blender, combine all marinara ingredients and blend until smooth. Add desired amount of marinara to zucchini noodles and toss to combine. Divide among serving bowls. If desired, garnish with yeast, tomatoes and basil, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup noodles and 1/4 cup marinara sauce): Calories: 142, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 18 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 5 g, Sodium: 275 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
If you don’t have a spiral slicer, you can hand slice zucchini into long strips or use a julienne peeler. Alternatively, you can use kelp noodles (found at natural food stores) or cooked brown rice noodles. Try using 2 12-oz pkgs kelp noodles, rinsed and drained, or 7 oz brown rice pasta of your choice, cooked.
Love zucchini? Try this recipe, too!