Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Chicken
Photo: Jodi Pudge
By Joanne Lusted
Makes: 16 sandwiches
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup canned or cooked black beans, drained and rinsed (TIP: Opt for BPA-free cans.)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 whole-grain baguette (10 oz)
- 8 oz low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz grilled, boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded or thinly sliced
- Sea salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Place beans, 1/4 cup water and cilantro into the bowl of a 4-cup food processor; purée until smooth. Season with salt and cayenne. Scrape mixture into a sealable container, cover and set aside. (NOTE: Mixture can be made ahead and stored in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.)
- Slice baguette into 32 pieces (about 1/4-inch thick) and arrange in a single layer on a tray or cutting board. Spray each slice with cooking spray and flip over, misted-sides-down.
- Spread 1 tsp bean purée onto 16 of the baguette slices. Top each of remaining 16 slices with 1/2 oz cheese (about 1 tbsp) and 1/2 oz chicken. Sandwich baguette slices together, topping each cheese-chicken slice with a bean purée slice, making a total of 16 sandwiches.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and mist with cooking spray. Place sandwiches into pan, cooking in batches. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until bread is light golden brown, cheese is melted and chicken is warm. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per 2 sandwiches: Calories: 217, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 20 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 18 g, Sodium: 365 mg, Cholesterol: 30 mg