Honey-Cranberry Chicken with Orange-Paprika Rice
Photo: Jodi Pudge
By Lisa Howard
If you liked this cranberry chicken, try this raw butternut squash & cranberry salad.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup brown rice
- Zest 1 orange
- Juice 1 orange
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 cup whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 4 equal portions (TIP: Butterfly breasts into halves if they are more than 1-inch thick.)
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Cook rice according to package directions, first adding zest to pot when you add water. When rice is cooked through, remove from heat and stir in orange juice, paprika and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Chop cranberries and set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium for 1 minute. Add chicken, swirl to coat in oil and saute for 3 minutes or until chicken begins to turn golden brown. Flip breasts over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add cranberries, honey, 1/4 cup water, mustard, sage and remaining 1/2 tsp salt to chicken. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12 minutes. Cut into thickest part of breast to check for doneness. If still pink, continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Continue cooking sauce for another 10 minutes or until it has reduced to a thick paste. Mound out 3/4 cup rice onto each of 4 plates. Serve 4 oz chicken topped with 1 tbsp cranberry sauce.
Nutrients per serving (3/4 cup rice, 4 oz honey-cranberry chicken, 1 tbsp cranberry sauce): Calories: 352, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 45 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 12 g, Protein: 30 g, Sodium: 554 mg, Cholesterol: 65 mg
COST PER SERVING
Video: Cooking Rice