Caramelized Onion, Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Photo: Yvonne Duivenvoorden
By Jeanette Hurt
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz fresh spinach
- 12 oz frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 8 oz low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 tbsp low-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1⁄8 tsp sea salt (optional)
- Heat nonstick or cast iron pan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Spray pan with cooking spray and let heat for another minute. Add onion and sauté until caramelized, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring so that it does not burn. When onions are caramelized or golden brown, add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. If the vegetables are on the verge of burning, mist with cooking spray. Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes or until just wilted. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Put artichoke hearts and spinach-onion mixture into a food processor fitted with a standard cutting blade. Chop for 1 minute. Add cream cheese, sour cream and yogurt, and whirl for about 2 minutes. Add Parmesan, chives, pepper, seasoning and, if desired, salt. Chop for another 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are finely minced and well blended into dairy mixture.
- Place dip in a 4-qt ceramic baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Remove from heat and serve on a trivet with sides of vegetables, whole-wheat crostinis and crackers.