Apple Almond Squares
Photo: Brooklynn Drake Gaus
By Brooklynn Drake Gaus
Makes: 12 squares
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp stabilized rice bran, optional
- 2 tbsp organic evaporated cane juice
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 McIntosh apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced raw unsalted almonds
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp Sucanat
- 1/8 tsp arrowroot powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving 1 to 2 inches of overhang on opposite sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flours, bran (if using), cane juice, flaxseeds, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mix egg, egg white, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in apple, raisins and almonds. Spread evenly in dish. Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center. Lift edges of parchment paper to remove bars from dish. Cut into 12 squares.
- Prepare topping: In a spice grinder, pulse Sucanat and arrowroot into a fine powder. Sprinkle over bars. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrients per serving (1 apple almond square): Calories: 145, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 19 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 3.5 g, Sodium: 107 mg, Cholesterol: 18 mg