Artichokes alla Romana
Photo: Natalie Perry
By Mayo Clinic
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat (whole meal)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large artichokes
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 to 4 tbsp vegetable stock, chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and olive oil. Toss to coat. Spread crumbs in a shallow baking pan and bake, stirring once halfway through, until crumbs are lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Working with 1 artichoke at a time, snap off any tough outer leaves and trim the stem flush with the base. Cut off the top third of the leaves with a serrated knife and trim off any remaining thorns with scissors. Rub the cut edges with a lemon half to prevent discoloration. Separate the inner leaves and pull out the small leaves from the center. Using a melon baller or spoon, scoop out the fuzzy choke, then squeeze some lemon juice into the cavity. Trim remaining artichokes in the same manner.
- In a large bowl, toss bread crumbs with Parmesan, garlic, parsley, lemon zest and pepper. Add 2 to 4 tbsp stock, 1 tbsp at a time, using just enough for the stuffing to begin to stick together in small clumps.
- Using two-thirds of the stuffing, mound it slightly in the center of the artichokes. Then, starting at the bottom, spread the leaves open and spoon a rounded teaspoon of stuffing near the base of each leaf. (NOTE: The artichokes can be prepared to this point several hours ahead and kept refrigerated.)
- In a Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, combine 1 cup stock, wine, shallot and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. In a single layer, arrange artichokes, stem end down, in liquid. Cover and simmer until outer leaves are tender, about 45 minutes (if necessary, add water). Transfer artichokes to a rack and let cool slightly. Cut each artichoke into quarters and serve warm.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 209, Total Fat: 3 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 35 g, Fiber: 9 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 9 g, Sodium: 231 mg, Cholesterol: 3 mg
Bookmark more healthy recipes from the Mayo Clinic!