Asparagus & Avocado Sushi
Photo: Laura Wright
By Elizabeth Brown
Hands-On Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 5 sheets nori seaweed, divided
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 spears asparagus, trimmed
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 sushi rolling mat
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare pickled ginger: In a small pot, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Turn off heat and add ginger. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, honey and salt. Add ginger and 1/4 cup ginger soaking water, stirring until honey dissolves. Let sit for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Cut 1 nori sheet into small ribbons. Add to rice and stir to combine. Stir in sesame seeds and yeast; set rice aside until cool.
- Assemble sushi: On sushi mat, arrange 1 nori sheet. Spread 1/4-inch-thick layer of rice over sheet, leaving a 2-inch border at edge farthest from you. Horizontally arrange 1 spear asparagus, 2 slices mushroom and 2 slices avocado 1 inch from edge closest to you. Grab edge of mat closest to you and roll towards top; moisten top border with water and press to seal. Let rest for 2 minutes before removing mat. With a sharp knife, slice roll into rounds. Repeat with remaining nori and fillings. Serve with ginger.
TIP: For ginger-infused rice, mince half of pickled ginger and stir into cooked rice along with 1/4 cup pickling liquid.
Nutrients per serving (1 Asparagus & Avocado Sushi roll): Calories: 389, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 67 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 10 g, Sodium: 209 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg