Blueberry Apricot Breakfast Bars
Photo: Maya Visnyei
By Jessica Goldbogen Harlan
Makes: 16 bars
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg plus 3 egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Mist an 11 x 8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk oats, flour and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg and egg whites. Whisk in applesauce, honey and vanilla until smooth. With a rubber spatula, fold into flour mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in apricots, blueberries and cranberries.
- Transfer mixture to dish, spreading in an even layer. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center. Let cool completely in dish. Slice into 16 bars.
Nutrients per serving (2 x 2 1/2-inch bar): Calories: 168, Total Fat: 2.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 30 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 16 mg, Cholesterol: 1 mg
Here’s another great breakfast idea: pumpkin pancakes!