Egg ‘n’ Baked Potatoes
Photo: Yvonne Duivenvoorden
By James Smith
Hands-on Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 large Russet potatoes (about 9 oz each), scrubbed
- 2 slices all-natural turkey bacon (no nitrites or nitrates added)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 lightly packed cups baby spinach
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions or chives
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray. Prick potatoes with a fork and transfer to tray. Bake for 50 minutes, turning once, until tender. Set aside to cool for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350˚F.
- Meanwhile, mist a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-low. Add bacon and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate. When cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces.
- To skillet on medium-low, add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add spinach and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until wilted. Remove from heat.
- If needed, cut a thin slice from long side of each potato so they sit flat on sheet. Cut an oval into the top of each potato and scoop out flesh using a spoon or a melon baller, leaving a shell about 1/3-inch thick. Reserve potato flesh for future use. (MAKE AHEAD: Potatoes can be baked, cooled and scooped up to 2 days in advance. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper. Divide spinach mixture and bacon evenly among potatoes. Carefully crack 1 egg into each potato and top with cheese, dividing evenly. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, to desired doneness of egg. In a small bowl, combine yogurt and scallions and serve with potatoes.
Nutrients per serving (1 stuffed potato): Calories: 313, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 46 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 19 g, Sodium: 413 g, Cholesterol: 225 mg