Ham & Green Onion Quiche
Photo: Maya Visnyei
By Lisa Howard
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- 2 slices whole-grain bread, roughly chopped
- 1 large egg plus 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 5 3/4 oz low-sodium nitrate-free ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1-oz slices low-fat Swiss cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a food processor or clean spice or coffee grinder, process bread into rough crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a 9-inch pie dish and press firmly onto bottom to form a crust. Bake for 10 minutes, until edges are golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk egg, egg whites and milk until just combined. Add remaining ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- Pour egg mixture over top of crust. Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until top is puffed and golden brown and a knife tip comes out clean when inserted in center. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edges of dish to loosen. Cut into quarters.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 of quiche): Calories: 191, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 12 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 23 g, Sodium: 562 mg, Cholesterol: 90 mg
COST PER SERVING:
Watching your sodium? It’s okay to splurge a bit on the occasional saltier-than-average meal, but reduce your salt intake the rest of the day to match.