Kale Chicken Caesar Salad
Photo: Laura Wright
By Heather Bainbridge
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large cloves garlic, divided
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread (TIP: For best results, let bread dry out overnight.)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts (water-packed), drained and chopped
- 1 tbsp raw unsalted pine nuts
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Fill a large pot with water. Add chicken, 1 clove garlic, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. With two forks, shred chicken.
- Meanwhile, fill a large shallow pot with 1/2 inch water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium and add kale. Drizzle lemon juice over kale and cook for 5 minutes. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Add kale to bowl until cool. Drain and let dry.
- Prepare croutons: Arrange an oven rack in top position. Preheat broiler to high. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 tsp olive oil and 1 clove garlic, halved. Rub garlic on both sides of bread. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and broil on top oven rack, turning once, until golden. Cut each slice into 4 triangles.
- Prepare dressing: In a food processor, purée dressing ingredients and 2 tsp water until creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine kale, shallot, artichokes, chicken and nuts. Add dressing and toss to coat. Top Kale Chicken Caesar Salad with croutons.
Nutrients per serving (3 oz chicken, 3 cups salad, 2 croutons): Calories: 323, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 21 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 34 g, Sodium: 440 mg, Cholesterol: 67 mg