Photo: Edward Pond
By Kate Parham
Love this quesadilla casserole? Find more quesadilla recipes here!
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 4-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 small whole-wheat tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup low-sodium, all-natural barbecue sauce (no more than 7 to 10 g carbs and 1 g fat per 2-tbsp serving)
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large pot, bring 2 qt water to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until no longer pink. Transfer chicken to a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, place tortilla strips on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, toss and spread in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until crispy, tossing halfway through; set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Shred chicken with a fork. In a 10-inch square casserole dish, combine chicken, corn, beans and barbecue sauce. Spread mixture in an even layer. Transfer dish to oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, top with tortilla strips and cheese and bake for 5 to 10 more minutes until brown and bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per 1-cup serving: Calories: 254, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 36 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 18 g, Sodium:178 mg, Cholesterol: 24 mg