Spiced Brisket with Shallots & Tangerines
Photo: Yvonne Duivenvoorden
By Jill Silverman Hough
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 3-lb flat-cut beef brisket, trimmed of visible fat
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 8 shallots, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 small seedless tangerines, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices (peel on)
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Sprinkle brisket on both sides with five-spice, salt and pepper. Arrange brisket in a 9 by 13-inch baking pan. (NOTE: The side of brisket that was trimmed of fat should be facing up.) Arrange shallots and tangerines on and around brisket; bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a measuring cup, combine broth, vinegar and arrowroot, whisking to dissolve arrowroot.
- Remove brisket from oven and pour broth mixture into pan. Cover tightly with foil and continue baking until meat is very tender, about 3 hours. Remove brisket from oven and uncover. Let cool in pan juices for 30 minutes.
- Transfer brisket to a cutting board and slice meat against the grain. Serve meat with tangerine-shallot sauce mixture spooned on top.
Nutrients per serving (2 1/2 oz spiced brisket and 1/4 cup sauce mixture): Calories: 256, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 19 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 7 g, Protein: 33 g, Sodium: 307 mg, Cholesterol: 56 mg
Prepare up to two days ahead. Store sliced meat and sauce in baking pan, cover and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator 30 to 60 minutes in advance, then reheat at 350°F for about 45 minutes before serving.