Steamed Artichokes with Lemon Herb Sauce
Photo: Jodi Pudge
By Nicole Hamaker
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 tsp capers, drained, rinsed and minced
- 2 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 1 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- With a sharp knife, slice about 1 inch off the top of each artichoke. If leaves have thorns, snip off tips of leaves with kitchen shears. Cut stems, leaving about 1 inch on each artichoke. Rub cut parts of artichokes with lemon to prevent browning.
- Fill a large pot with 2 to 3 inches of water (water should only come up to the bottom of a steamer basket, not cover it) and place on high heat. Insert steamer basket into pot and add artichokes to basket; cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 25 to 35 minutes or until outer leaves of artichokes can be easily pulled off.
- Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Refrigerate mixture until ready to serve. Serve steamed artichokes warm with lemon-herb sauce for dipping.
Nutrients per serving (1 artichoke and 1/4 cup yogurt sauce ): Calories: 126, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 18 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 11 g, Sodium: 247 mg, Cholesterol: 10 mg