Collards with Turkey Sausage and Shrimp
Photo: Edward Pond
By Joanne Lusted
Makes: 6 cups
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp each ground black pepper and cayenne pepper
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail off
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 lean deli-fresh turkey sausages (7 oz), casings removed
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 1 lb), stems removed and leaves chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together chile powder, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne. In a medium bowl, toss shrimp with 1 tsp spice mixture until coated.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large sauté pan or wok on medium-high. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, until softened. Add shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 more minutes, until just turning pink. Transfer shallot-shrimp mixture to a bowl and return pan to heat.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in pan. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, for about 3 minutes, until browned. Stir remaining spice mixture and collard greens into pan. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Remove lid, stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Add shallot-shrimp mixture back to pan, stir and cook for 1 more minute, until heated through. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per 1 1/2-cup serving: Calories: 268, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 9 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 35 g, Sodium: 608 mg, Cholesterol: 209 mg