Thai Black Rice Salad with Wild Salmon
Photo: Yvonne Duivenvoorden
By Joanne Lusted
Hands-on time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 15 minutes (includes chilling time)
- 1 cup Black Forbidden rice
- Pinch sea salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 cup natural rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice 2 limes
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp Sriracha hot chile sauce, optional
- 8 oz boneless, skinless wild salmon, cut into 2-oz fillets
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh mint, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 tbsp raw unsalted slivered almonds or chopped peanuts
- In a medium pot, combine rice, 2 cups cold water and pinch salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and invert rice onto a large baking sheet, using a fork to spread out on sheet. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and, if desired, Sriracha sauce. In a large resealable bag, add salmon and 1/3 cup dressing. Seal and gently turn bag to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine mango, bell pepper, cilantro, mint and onions. Add rice and remaining dressing. Toss to coat and season with salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high and coat with cooking spray. Remove salmon from bag, discarding marinade. Add salmon to skillet and cook, turning once, until flesh flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 4 minutes. Remove from pan, transfer to a plate and set aside until completely cooled. Spoon mango-rice mixture into serving bowls and top with salmon and almonds, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (2 cups black rice salad, 2 oz salmon, 1 tbsp almonds): Calories: 448, Total Fat: 14 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Omega-3s: 1,030 mg, Omega-6s: 1,430 mg, Carbs: 57 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 11 g, Protein: 18 g, Sodium: 516 mg, Cholesterol: 31 mg