Egg & Ham Turnovers
Photo: Joanne Tsakos
By Heather Bainbridge
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 1/2 cup scallions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 16-oz pkg premade whole-wheat pizza dough
- 6 1-oz slices Jarlsberg Light or reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 6 oz low-sodium uncured lean ham, torn into small pieces, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium nonstick skillet, sauté scallions, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms in 1 tsp oil for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. While sautéing, whisk together eggs, egg whites, black pepper, thyme and parsley in a bowl. Pour egg mixture into skillet. Scramble with vegetables for about 3 to 5 minutes or until eggs are set and fluffy. Transfer to medium bowl. Let cool.
- Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Knead dough until it is in a tube-like shape, about 6 inches long. Divide dough into 6 sections by cutting with a knife. Roll out each section into a circle and place circles onto a foil-lined baking sheet.
- To assemble, layer the following ingredients: On each circle of dough, place half-slice cheese, 1/3 cup egg-veggie mixture, 1 oz ham and top with other half-slice cheese. Fold dough over to make a half-moon shape, pinch sides together with water to stick. Brush outer dough with remaining oil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until dough is golden and feels crusty to the touch. Let cool for 5 minutes for dough and contents to set.
Nutrients per turnover: Calories: 341, Total Fat: 8 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 39 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 26 g, Sodium: 393 mg, Cholesterol: 89 mg
Let turnovers cool, wrap in aluminum foil or freezer-safe plastic wrap and freeze for 1 to 2 months. To enjoy, defrost overnight in refrigerator. Reheat in microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes or in oven at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes.