Find more vegetarian recipes here!
- Prep Time
- 1 tsp safflower oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, divided (NOTE: Mince 1 clove; leave 2 cloves whole.)
- 3/4 cup frozen mango chunks, thawed
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp garam masala, divided (TIP: Look for this Indian spice blend in the ethnic section of your supermarket, or in specialty grocery stores.)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup packed peeled and grated carrot
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 3 tbsp unsalted tomato paste
- Prepare chutney: In a small, heavy saucepan, heat 1/4 tsp oil on medium. Add 1/4 cup onion and sauté, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add 1 minced clove garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Stir in mango, vinegar, honey, ¼ tsp garam masala, 1/8 tsp salt and 2 tbsp water. Increase heat to medium-high and simmer, mashing mango with the back of a wooden spoon, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse remaining 2 whole cloves garlic until minced. Add remaining ¼ cup onion, lentils, egg, bread crumbs, carrot, 1/4 cup cilantro, tomato paste and remaining ¼ tsp garam masala and 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp salt. Pulse just until mixture comes together, about 10 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and use your hands to shape mixture into 4 equal patties. With your thumb, form a slight indent in the center of each.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat remaining ¾ tsp oil on medium-high. Add patties and cook, using a spatula to flatten slightly, until golden, about 3 minutes per side. To serve, top patties with chutney and garnish with additional cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 patty and 1/4 of chutney
- Calories: 263
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 18 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 215 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 421 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Trans Fat Content: 5 g