TIP: If following our Two-Week Meal Plan, only 5 eggs need to be hardboiled as 1 serving will be eaten without an egg. To store leftovers for use in Meal Plan recipes, divide 4 1⁄2 cups Indian Red Lentils among 3 freezer-safe containers and 1⁄2 cup rice among 2 freezer-safe containers. Reserve for use when called for.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 2 tsp safflower or olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp seeded and minced jalapeño chile pepper
- 3 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 16 oz red lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted (TIP: Substitute with 1 tbsp curry powder.)
- 1⁄2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 6 eggs, hardboiled, peeled and sliced (TIP: If not using all
- 6 servings at once, rinse eggs in cold water and refrigerate, with shell on, for up to 7 days.)
- 1 vine tomato, seeded and diced
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare lentils: In a large pot, heat oil on medium. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño and ginger and sauté for 1 to 2 more minutes, until fragrant. Stir in lentils, 1⁄4 cup cilantro, cumin seeds, salt and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed and lentils are softened, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Stir in 1⁄4 cup cilantro.
- Divide rice, lentil mixture, eggs and tomato among serving bowls. Garnish with additional cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup red lentils, 1/4 cup cooked rice, 1 tbsp chopped tomato
- Calories: 442
- Carbohydrate Content: 64 g
- Cholesterol Content: 187 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 65 g
- Protein Content: 28 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 211 mg
- Sugar Content: 75 g
- Trans Fat Content: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content: 3 g