Find more chicken recipes here!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 14.5-oz can unsalted fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 4 red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers
- Lime wedges
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground saffron
- Prepare seasoning: In a small dry skillet on medium-low, toast cumin seeds for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant, shaking skillet occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 2 minutes. Transfer seeds to a spice grinder; grind to a powder. Transfer cumin to a small bowl and stir in remaining seasoning ingredients.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, and chile; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook until no longer pink. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp seasoning mixture (reserve remaining mixture for use in Meal Plan); stir well. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; then simmer, uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Meanwhile, cut bell peppers in half vertically (from stems to bottoms). Remove and discard stems, seeds and membranes. In a large pot, blanch peppers in boiling water, 2 to 3 minutes or just until tender; drain. Fill peppers with chicken mixture.
- For each serving, arrange 2 pepper halves on a plate. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 2 stuffed pepper halves
- Calories: 474
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Cholesterol Content: 195 mg
- Fat Content: 26 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 425 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 157 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
- Trans Fat Content: 4 g