Molten Lava Cakes
Photo: Yvonne Duivenvoorden
By Linda Melone
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Sucanat
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Orange or pear slices, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray 4 4-oz custard cups or small ramekins with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cocoa powder and Sucanat; whisk in applesauce and oil.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk egg and egg white and add to cocoa mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Stir in flour and vanilla until flour is combined completely; do not over mix. Divide mixture evenly among prepared custard cups, place on a baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes. Centers should be soft but sides firm. Invert cups onto serving plates; let stand a few minutes before removing cups. Garnish each cake with fruit slices, if desired, and serve warm.
Nutrients per 4-oz cake: Calories: 250, Total Fat: 13 g, Sat. Fat: 2.5 g, Carbs: 32 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 17 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 40 mg, Cholesterol: 32 mg