Love pasta? Try these fabulous clean recipes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 1/4 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 14 oz small whole-wheat shell pasta, or similar shape
- 2 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour (TRY: King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 oz grated Gruyère cheese (1 packed cup)
- 4 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese (1 packed cup)
- 2 oz grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 packed cup)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray. Add squash, oil, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread in a single layer. Roast until squash is golden brown and tender, tossing once or twice with a spatula, about 25 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Before draining, ladle about 1 cup of pasta cooking water into a heat-proof measuring cup or small bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out pan used to cook pasta. To pan on medium, melt butter. Add flour and stir with a spoon until moistened, about 1 minute. Add milk in a slow, steady stream as you stir with a whisk. Increase heat to medium-high and continue whisking until no lumps of flour remain. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently to prevent milk from scorching. Simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in Gruyère and cheddar. Stir in remaining 1/4 tsp salt, pasta and squash, until combined. Stir in reserved pasta cooking water in 1/4 cup additions, until cheese sauce is thick but still pourable, or to desired consistency. Remove from heat and divide among plates. Sprinkle with Parmesan and thyme (if using).
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
- Calories: 472
- Carbohydrate Content: 57 g
- Cholesterol Content: 53 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 489 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g