Sirloin & Peppery Tomato Reduction
Photo: Yvonne Duivenvoorden
By Nancy S. Hughes
Hands-on time: 8 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 lb boneless sirloin steak, about 3/4-inch thick, trimmed of visible fat
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into eighths lengthwise, then cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into eighths lengthwise, then cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, quartered and layers separated
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of steak and press lightly to adhere. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, tilting skillet to coat bottom lightly. Add zucchini, squash and onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until just tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Sprinkle mixture with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and place in a medium bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in same skillet on medium-high, tilting skillet to coat bottom lightly. Cook steak for 4 minutes per side or to desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients, except 2 tsp oil.
- Remove skillet from heat and place steak on a cutting board. Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add sauce mixture to pan residue. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup liquid, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, stir in 2 tsp oil and serve over steak, with squash-onion stir-fry alongside.
Nutrients per serving (3 oz steak, 1/2 cup squash-onion stir-fry, 1 tbsp sauce): Calories: 235, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monosaturated Fat: 6 g, Polysaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 7g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 22 g, Sodium: 346 mg, Cholesterol: 55 mg