Photo: Jodi Pudge
By Julie O'Hara
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
You Save: 310 calories, 21 g total fat, 9 g saturated fat, 568 g sodium
- 1 lb 96% lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp white onion, finely minced, plus 1 cup, thinly sliced, divided
- 3 tbsp Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus additional to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup pre-sliced button mushrooms
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips (about 1 cup)
- 4 thin slices deli reduced-fat Swiss cheese (3/4 oz each)
- 4 standard-size whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, thick stems removed
- 4 tomato slices (1/4-inch thick each)
- Add beef, minced onion, parsley, chile powder, salt and black pepper to a large bowl. Mix with your hands until just combined. Gently form beef mixture into 4 equal patties, about 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. Transfer to a broiler pan or rimmed baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate.
- Add 1 tsp oil to a medium nonstick skillet and set over medium. When oil is hot, add mushrooms and cook until golden brown and soft, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Add remaining oil to skillet and return to medium heat. Add red pepper and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sliced onion and continue cooking for 6 more minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Add to bowl with mushrooms. Season vegetables with salt and black pepper and stir to combine.
- When you’re ready to eat, preheat broiler to high or a grill to medium-high.
- Place patties under broiler, about 10 inches from heat source, or on a grill. Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, until meat is no longer pink in center or the internal temperature registers 160 F on an instant-read thermometer. Immediately place 1 slice cheese on each hot burger. (If you want cheese very melted, add it to burgers 30 seconds to 1 minute before end of cooking time.) To serve, layer each bun with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice tomato, 1 cheeseburger patty and 1/3 cup vegetable mixture.
Nutrients per cheeseburger: Calories: 320, Total Fat 10 g, Sat. Fat 3 g, Carbs 25 g, Fiber 4 g, Sugars 5 g, Protein 33 g, Sodium 570 g, Cholesterol 65 mg