Stuffed Turkey Peppers
Photo: Gregory James
By Heather Bainbridge
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 2/3 cup low-sodium natural tomato juice
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 assorted medium sweet bell peppers (red orange and yellow)
- 2 oz part-skim mozzarella
- Bring rice and 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium, cover and continue to boil for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add oil and onions to a large sauté pan over medium-high. Sauté onions for 2 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add turkey, juice and seasoning. Cook until turkey is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and black pepper, cooking, covered, for 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Fill a large pot half-full with water and bring to a boil. Cut tops from bell peppers and remove all seeds. Add bell peppers and tops to water and return to a boil. Cook, covered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Remove bell peppers and dry on paper towel.
- Drain rice and add to turkey mixture. In a glass dish, stand bell peppers and fill with turkey-rice mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella and add bell pepper top. Bake for 15 minutes.
Nutrients per stuffed turkey pepper: Calories: 350, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 35 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugars: 14 g, Protein: 36 g, Sodium: 210 mg, Cholesterol: 60 mg