Thai Coconut Shrimp with Brown Rice Pasta
Photo: Edward Pond
By Lisa Howard
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 8 oz dry brown rice noodles or pasta of your choice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter with sea salt
- 1 tsp ginger, ground
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 24 medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and rinsed under cold running water
- Bring 2 medium pots of water to a boil over high heat. In 1 pot, cook pasta according to package directions, then rinse with hot water to ensure pasta doesn’t get sticky when left to stand. (NOTE: Hot water washes away the starch better than cold water.) Fluff pasta with your fingers or a fork to further de-clump noodles, then set aside. In the second pot of boiling water, add broccoli, cover, turn heat down to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add coconut milk, tomato paste, peanut butter, ginger, garlic, pepper flakes and lime juice. Use a fork or whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Simmer coconut mixture, bell pepper and bean sprouts in a nonstick pan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often to prevent clumping. Add shrimp and cook for another 2 minutes, then flip shrimp over and continue to cook for a final minute.
- Toss noodles and broccoli with coconut-shrimp mixture and serve piping hot.
Nutrients per serving (1/2 cup pasta, 6 coconut shrimp, 1 cup vegetables, 3 tbsp coconut sauce): Calories: 338, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 48 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 2.5 g, Protein: 20 g, Sodium: 286 mg, Cholesterol: 55 mg