Photo: Laura Wright
By Tara Mataraza Desmond
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur wheat
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Za’atar (TIP: Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice mixture that includes thyme, sumac, marjoram and sesame. Look for it in the spice aisle or in the ethnic food section of your supermarket.)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small field-grown cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans)
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain kefir or nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Stir in bulgur, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes, until tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small bowl, combine garlic, lemon zest and juice, Za’atar and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, kefir and bulgur and toss to combine. Drizzle dressing over top and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until cold.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup): Calories: 197, Total Fat: 1 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 37 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 11.5 g, Sodium: 164 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Try this versatile side with poultry, shrimp or grilled veggies! You can also make this salad up to 2 days in advance.