Hearty Chicken Salad with Pomegranate
Photo: Edward Pond
By Diane Morgan
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 4 5-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, divided
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 red onion, cut into paper-thin wedges
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 oz shelled raw unsalted pistachios
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
- In a large, shallow bowl, add chicken and 3 tbsp lemon juice. Turn to coat. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp salt, cayenne and 1/2 tsp black pepper on all sides of chicken, dividing evenly. Set aside.
- Place a ridged grill pan on medium-high heat and mist with cooking spray. Add chicken and grill, turning once, until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. If necessary, work in batches to avoid overcrowding pan. Transfer to a cutting board and set aside until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes. Cut each chicken breast crosswise into thin slices.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small bowl, whisk remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, yogurt, oil, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss spinach, onion, pomegranate and pistachios and divide among serving plates. Top with chicken and avocado and drizzle with dressing, dividing evenly. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving (1 chicken breast, 1 1/2 cups salad, 1/4 avocado): Calories: 337, Total Fat: 13 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 19 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 38 g, Sodium: 433 mg, Cholesterol: 82 mg