Tosca Reno’s Green Tea, Almond & Date Biscotti
Photo: Maya Visnyei
By Tosca Reno
Makes: 24 biscotti
- 1 cup almond flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour, plus additional for dusting
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup prepared green tea (brewed for 5 minutes), cooled to room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raw unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pitted dates (TIP: Opt for natural date varieties, such as Medjool and deglet noor, which contain no added sugar or preservatives)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir flours and baking powder until well combined. With a pastry cutter, cut in oil until mixture resembles the texture of coarse oatmeal. Stir in egg whites, tea and vanilla and almond extracts. With a rubber spatula, fold in almonds and dates.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and shape into 2 9 x 2-inch logs. Place logs 4 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Leave oven heat at 350°F.
- With a serrated knife, slice logs diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Remove parchment paper from baking sheet and place slices on sheet, flat side-down, in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and turn slices. Return to oven and bake for 8 to 10 more minutes, until dry and crisp. Let cool completely.
Nutrients per biscotti: Calories: 84, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 7 g, Fiber: 1.5 g, Sugars: 1.5 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 8 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
SWITCH IT UP:
You can jazz up Tosca’s biscotti with any dried fruit you like, as long as it’s finely chopped. Give dried cranberries a try for a tart twist, or stay sweet with dried apricot! There are lots of fruits to choose from.
Spicy Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip
Try our hot 'n' spicy wings, which rival the ones you'd find at your local...
- Posted 319 days ago
Mega Berry Antioxidant Spinach Salad
Candice Kumai's salad gets an antioxidant boost from two kinds of berries, plus the heart-healthy...
- Posted 344 days ago
Wild Mushroom & Cannellini Bean Stew
Some food and drink are good for you in moderation, red wine being one of...
Pecan & Cran Cookies
Tosca Reno's 30-minute cookies are a holiday favorite - she was even able to use...
Greek Yogurt Cheesecakes with Quick Berry Compote
Get foolproof, silky cheesecake – that won't yield tempting leftovers in the fridge for days and...
Baked Buffalo Chicken Tenders with Blue Cheese Sauce
A classic reinvented, our Buffalo chicken tenders have a tasty, crispy coating that rivals your...
- Posted 22 days ago