Tosca Reno’s Green Tea, Almond & Date Biscotti
Photo: Maya Visnyei
By Tosca Reno
Makes: 24 biscotti
- 1 cup almond flour, plus additional for dusting
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour, plus additional for dusting
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup prepared green tea (brewed for 5 minutes), cooled to room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raw unsalted almonds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pitted dates (TIP: Opt for natural date varieties, such as Medjool and deglet noor, which contain no added sugar or preservatives)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir flours and baking powder until well combined. With a pastry cutter, cut in oil until mixture resembles the texture of coarse oatmeal. Stir in egg whites, tea and vanilla and almond extracts. With a rubber spatula, fold in almonds and dates.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface and shape into 2 9 x 2-inch logs. Place logs 4 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Leave oven heat at 350°F.
- With a serrated knife, slice logs diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Remove parchment paper from baking sheet and place slices on sheet, flat side-down, in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and turn slices. Return to oven and bake for 8 to 10 more minutes, until dry and crisp. Let cool completely.
Nutrients per biscotti: Calories: 84, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 7 g, Fiber: 1.5 g, Sugars: 1.5 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 8 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
SWITCH IT UP:
You can jazz up Tosca’s biscotti with any dried fruit you like, as long as it’s finely chopped. Give dried cranberries a try for a tart twist, or stay sweet with dried apricot! There are lots of fruits to choose from.
Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
We borrowed the soft, light topping of a classic pie, cleaned it up and popped...
Frozen Berry-Granola Squares
With only five ingredients, these yogurty snacks are a cinch to prepare. To make your...
Soufflés can seem rather daunting. This foolproof, low-cal recipe is certainly quick and easy, yet...
Coconut & Quinoa Breakfast Porridge with Fresh Fruit
Trade your oats for quinoa, the perfect base for our coconut-laced breakfast porridge topped with...