Love steak? Try our Grilled Herbed Steak with Rainbow Slaw.
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules or ½ tsp chile powder
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 lb boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp organic evaporated cane juice
- 1 tsp safflower oil
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish, optional
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, onion, Worcestershire, coffee and allspice. In a large baking pan, add sirloin. Top with 2 tbsp vinegar mixture, turning several times to coat. Marinate for 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, fill a pot with about 2 inches water and set a steamer basket over top. Place potatoes in basket and bring water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and steam until fork-tender, about 13 minutes.
- Carefully remove steamer basket from pot, discarding water. Transfer potatoes to pot. With a potato masher, mash until blended. Gradually mix in milk, 1/4 tsp salt and cane juice. Cover and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Remove sirloin from marinade and add to skillet; discard remaining marinade. Cook sirloin for 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and sprinkle with 1⁄8 tsp salt and pepper.
- Add remaining vinegar mixture to skillet and bring to a boil on medium-high and cook, constantly scraping bottom and sides of skillet with a wooden spoon, for 1 to 2 minutes or until reduced by about half. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/8 tsp salt and additional pepper. With a sharp knife, thinly slice sirloin against the grain into 16 slices. Spoon potatoes onto serving plates and top with sirloin and vinegar reduction, dividing evenly. Garnish with thyme (if using).
Serving Size: 3 oz sirloin, 1/2 cup potatoes, 1 tbsp vinegar reduction Calories: 285 Carbohydrate Content: 25 g Cholesterol Content: 55 mg Fat Content: 9 g Fiber Content: 3 g Protein Content: 22 g Saturated Fat Content: 3 g Sodium Content: 374 mg Sugar Content: 12 g Polyunsaturated Fat Content: 1 g