Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
My mornings are always a rush. No matter how much time I give myself to get ready, I always hit the snooze button at least a couple of times before ever-so-slowly making my way to the shower.
When I’m hurrying to get out the door, it’s so tempting to skip over breakfast and pick up a pre-made muffin or wrap along the way — a bad habit that doesn’t do any favors to my wallet or my waistline. So I needed to come up with a meal that would fill me up, provide a boost of protein and, most importantly, take no more than five minutes to make.
This Mexican-inspired egg and veggie wrap is always a winner for me. If I’m really behind, I’ll even wrap it in foil and take it to go.
Do you have your own favorite five-minute breakfast? I’d love to hear it!
- 1 6-inch corn tortilla
- ¼ tsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- Pinch each sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 avocado, cut into thin slices
- 4 to 5 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lime wedge
- In a medium nonstick skillet on medium, heat tortilla for about 1 minute on each side, just until warm (but not yet crisp). Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- To skillet, add oil. In a small bowl, whisk egg, salt and pepper; add to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through.
- To tortilla, add egg, avocado and tomatoes. Top with cheese and a squeeze of lime juice.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 189, Total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 17 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 9 g, Sodium: 229 mg, Cholesterol: 187 mg