What You'll Need:
- As many whole heads of garlic as you'd like to roast
- Sharp kitchen knife
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Muffin tin
- Aluminum foil
2. Preheat oven to 400F. Peel the outside layer of skin but leave enough to keep individual cloves bound together. (You can wear gloves to avoid smelly hands.)
3. With a kitchen knife, cut a 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the head, exposing the cloves.
4. Put into a baking dish or muffin tin. (Muffin tins are great as the compartments keep the garlic head nice and tight.) Using your fingers, spread olive oil thoroughly over the head of the garlic. Make sure it's coated all over, otherwise the edges will burn.
5. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes. To tell if it's done, poke with a toothpick. The toothpick should go through but feel slight resistance. You want it soft, not mushy.