Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
1. With a sharp knife, remove the crown and top 1/2 inch from pomegranate. Make 4 or 5 shallow cuts (aka score lines) in the skin from the top to the base around the perimeter of the fruit.
2. Hold the pomegranate over top of a large bowl of cool water.
3. Pull the fruit apart along score lines.
4. With your fingers, press out arils from white pith and drop them into bowl.
5. Gather and discard white pith.
6. Drain, discarding everything but arils. Rinse bowl, then return arils to bowl.