How to Seed a Pomegranate
Use our simple guide to extract every last aril from your pomegranates.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1. With a sharp knife, remove the crown and top 1/2 inch from pomegranate. Make 4 or 5 shallow cuts (aka score lines) in the skin from the top to the base around the perimeter of the fruit.
2. Hold the pomegranate over top of a large bowl of cool water.
3. Pull the fruit apart along score lines.
4. With your fingers, press out arils from white pith and drop them into bowl.
5. Gather and discard white pith.
6. Drain, discarding everything but arils. Rinse bowl, then return arils to bowl.