Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped scallions
- 16 oz top sirloin beef strips, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 8 oz snow peas, sliced lengthwise
- 1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 tbsp minced fresh lemongrass
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 oz 100% buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat oil on medium. Add scallions and sauté, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add beef, mushrooms, ginger, coriander, paprika and cayenne and sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add broth and 4 cups water. With a wooden spoon, scrape up browned bits from bottom of pot. Add peas, carrot, lemongrass, tamari and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add noodles and simmer gently for 10 more minutes, until noodles are al dente and vegetables are tender. Garnish with parsley.
TIP: Freeze extra soup in serving-size containers for up to 3 months.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup beef noodle soup): Calories: 130, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 15 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 10 g, Sodium: 113 mg, Cholesterol: 18 mg