Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Makes: 12 waffles
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups 1% milk
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1 cup light spelt flour
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 oz low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup, optional
- In a medium saucepan, combine apples and 1/2 cup water. Place on medium heat and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low and continue simmering until apples soften, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Preheat a waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and oil until combined, about 45 seconds. In a separate large bowl, combine both flours, salt and baking powder. Add to egg mixture and mix until just blended. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in cheese and chives. Pour 1/3 cup batter onto each section of waffle iron and close lid; cook until golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes, checking for doneness when steam escaping from waffle iron slows. Repeat with remaining batter. Top waffles with apple mixture, dividing evenly, and maple syrup, if desired.
Nutrients per serving (1 waffle and 2 tbsp apple mixture): Calories: 167, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 21 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 5 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 104 mg, Cholesterol: 38 mg