Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 6 oz dark bittersweet chocolate, broken up
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups Sucanat, divided
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 4 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly mist 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place chocolate in a microwavable bowl and heat on high until chocolate melts, approximately 2 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1 cup Sucanat and continue beating until mixture appears creamy. Add vanilla.
- In a separate small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup Sucanat, cocoa and arrowroot powder, then beatinto egg whites on low speed.
- Stir in warm chocolate and continue stirring gently until mixture thickens.
- Place rounded tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on sheetpans for an additional 10 minutes before transferring to racks to cool completely.
Nutrients per cookie: Calories: 90, Total Fat: 3 g, Sat. Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 16 g, Fiber: 1 g, Sugars: 14 g, Protein: 1 g, Sodium: 15 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg.