Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 34 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 26 1/2 oz boxed or jarred diced tomatoes, drained and juices reserved
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tbsp stone-ground whole-grain yellow cornmeal
- Whole-grain flour, as needed for dusting work surface
- 16-oz frozen whole-grain pizza dough, thawed (OPTION: Make your own clean dough)
- 3 oz low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 oz cooked all-natural low-fat chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed and sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted green or black olives
- 1 cup jarred roasted red pepper (packed in water), sliced
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Prepare sauce: In a food processor, pulse garlic, drained tomatoes, oregano and oil until slightly chunky and combined; add up to 1/4 cup reserved tomato juices as needed if mixture is too thick. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Mist a large parchment-lined baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. On a floured work surface, flatten and stretch dough into a rectangle just smaller than baking sheet, about 10 x 14-inches. Transfer dough to baking sheet.
- Spread 1 cup sauce over dough in a thin, even layer. Top with cheese, sausage, onion, olives, and bell pepper. Bake until bottom and edges of crust are golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Top with arugula and cut into 8 equal slices.
Nutrients per serving (2 slices sausage pizza): Calories: 455, Total Fat: 12 g, Sat. Fat: 2.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 63 g, Fiber: 13 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 21 g, Sodium: 455 mg, Cholesterol: 24 mg
SAVE YOUR SAUCE!
Leftover sauce will last about five days in the fridge, or frozen for up to two months. Use on your favorite pasta, pizza, casserole or as a substitute for prepared tomato sauce in your favorite Clean Eating recipes.