Spicy Chickpea Stew
We cleaned up a dish chock full of Moroccan flavor and spice. The hearty stew is sure to warm your body as the weather starts to cool.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Makes: 4 cups
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp organic extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced (Note: For a milder stew, remove seeds)
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped, for garnish
- In a large bowl, add chickpeas and enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Soak overnight, for 8 to 18 hours. Drain.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium until melted. Add cumin and toast, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add onion, celery, carrots and salt and saute, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno and ginger and saute for 1 more minute. Add turmeric and cinnamon stick and stir to combine.
- Stir in 2 cups water, tomatoes and chickpeas. Increase heat to bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beans are tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Add garam masala and stir to combine; remove cinnamon stick. Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with cilantro, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup chickpea stew): Calories: 294, Total Fat: 7 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 48 g, Fiber: 12 g, Sugars: 13 g, Protein: 12 g, Sodium: 629 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Reader Recipe Developer:
“I love to make this recipe on a cool day, as the spices warm you up from the inside! My family and I enjoy this recipe for the vegetarian protein and filling fiber of the chickpeas, along with the clean, whole foods ingredients to keep us nourished and satisfied all day.”
Love exotic chickpea dishes? Try this chickpea salad, too!