Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes.
Total time: 20 minutes.
- 8 medium-size beets, roasted
- 2 cups chopped beet greens, washed and dried
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- Peel beets and cut into wedges. Set aside.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook shallots until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant and pale golden, about 1 minute. Stir in beet greens, sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring often, until tender crisp, about 3 minutes. Pour in orange juice, add reserved beets and cook just until heated through and liquid has been absorbed, about 2 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature (can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days).