- Sea salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium celery roots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 qt low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup thick Cashew Cream
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled and very finely diced
- Chive Oil, for garnish
- Place a large stainless steel stockpot on medium heat. Sprinkle bottom with a pinch of salt and heat for 1 minute. Add oil and heat for 30 seconds, being careful not to let it smoke.
- Add celery roots, celery and onion and saute for 6 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until soft but not brown. Add stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add Cashew Cream and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, carefully remove bay leaf, pour soup into a blender, cover lid with a towel (hot liquid tends to erupt) and blend on high. Season with salt and pepper, and ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with a spoonful of apple and a drizzle of Chive Oil.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup soup and 1 tbsp chive oil): Calories: 438, Total Fat: 38 g, Sat. Fat: 6 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 18 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 13 g, Carbs: 22 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 7 g, Sodium: 112 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg