Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Understanding the importance of eating every few hours, our reader recipe developer wanted to create a snack she could feel good about munching on. Her Spicy Roasted Chickpeas can be kept in the fridge for up to four days, but we bet your family will gobble them up by that time!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 cups canned or cooked chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple sugar flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl; toss well.
- Spread chickpea mixture on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Put in oven, roasting for 20 to 25 minutes; toss mixture about halfway through.
- When chickpeas are dark brown in spots, remove from oven and let cool.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Nutrients per serving (2/3 cup spicy roasted chickpeas): Calories: 140, Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 17 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 6 g, Sodium: 460 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
READER RECIPE TESTER:
South Riding, Virginia
“I eat clean because I truly believe that my body requires real, whole foods and not chemicals. Sure, I slip up from time to time _ it’s hard not to in this day and age. However, whenever I eat clean it makes me feel energetic, healthy and proud of myself. I wanted an easy-to-make snack that I could go to in a pinch. I love crunchy food, but I wanted something healthier than a bag of chips.”