Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
This whole wheat bread is the perfect base for delicious sandwiches. Find sandwich recipes here.
Makes: approximately 18 slices
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour (TRY: King Arthur Flour Flour Premium 100% Whole Wheat)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp honey (TRY: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Honey)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Mix 1 3/4 cup warm water, flour and yeast in a small bowl. Let rise until mixture doubles in size, approximately 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients with dough and knead by hand or with bread maker until dough is sticky. Add additional warm water if needed. If kneading by hand, let rise for 30 minutes, knead again and let rise for 30 minutes. If using a bread maker, let rise once, then put it in standard bread loaf pan to rise for an additional 30 minutes until dough fills out loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes. Slice to desired width and serve.
Nutrients per 2 5/8-inch slices: Calories: 160, Total fat: 3.5 g, Sat. fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 30 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 14 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 55 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
We independently source all of the products that we feature on cleaneatingmag.com. If you buy from the links on our site, we may receive an affiliate commission, which in turn supports our work.