Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp minced yellow onion
- 8 oz pearl barley
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 1/2 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 oz organic unsalted butter, soft
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 oz cooked lump crabmeat (Chef Recommends: Dungeness or blue crab varieties)
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a small pot, bring stock to a simmer; keep hot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent.
- Add barley and stir to coat in oil. Add wine and saute, stirring constantly, until absorbed. Stir in 1/2 cup stock and bring to simmer, gently stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Working 1/2 cup at a time, add remaining stock, gently stirring constantly and ensuring stock is absorbed between each addition, about 30 minutes total. (NOTE: Depending on consistency of mixture, final 1/4 cup stock may not be necessary; risotto is done when barley is soft.)
- Remove from heat and stir in avocado, cheese, butter, dill and remaining 3 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. To serve, top with crab and lime juice.
Nutrients per serving (1/2-cup barley risotto): Calories: 245, Total Fat: 12 g, Sat. Fat: 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 1 g, Protein: 9 g, Sodium: 204 mg, Cholesterol: mg