Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 heads butter leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1 1/2 lb cooked lump crabmeat
- 4 eggs, hardboiled, peeled and quartered
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely julienned
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chile sauce (harissa or sambal oelek)
- 2 tbsp grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Place lettuce on a large platter or divide among 4 individual serving plates. Top with crab, eggs, tomatoes, avocado, fennel and carrot, dividing evenly. Serve dressing alongside.
Nutrients per serving (2 1/2 cups salad): Calories: 246, Total Fat: 11 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated fat: 1 g, Carbs: 11 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 26 g, Sodium: 501 mg, Cholesterol: 167 mg
Adding in your favorite seasonal vegetables will really make this salad even more phenomenal: asparagus, fava beans and peas in the spring; cucumbers, sweet bell peppers and melons in the summer; and a variety of squashes, raw celeriac and citrus in the fall and winter.