Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
- 3/4 cup dry split red lentils
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 small Italian eggplant, diced
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 4 1/2 oz boxed or jarred Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 12-inch baked whole-wheat thin pizza crust (TRY: CE‘s Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough)
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a small saucepan, bring lentils and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil on medium. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly browned. Stir in eggplant, potatoes and about 1/2 cup juices from boxed tomatoes. Simmer until liquid is absorbed. Stir in tomatoes and remaining juices, cumin, curry powder, ginger, salt and pepper. Simmer until potatoes begin to soften, 15 to 20 minutes. (NOTE: If liquid absorbs before potatoes are fully cooked, stir in a small amount of water and cover.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mist a 12-inch round pizza pan with cooking spray. Transfer pizza crust to pan and spread lentils evenly over top. Top with potato mixture and cheese. Bake until the edges are browned, 10 to 13 minutes.
Nutrients per serving (1/10 red lentil pizza): Calories: 209, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Carbs: 35 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 10 g, Sodium: 234 mg, Cholesterol: 3 mg