Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour (TRY: Bob’s Red Mill Stone Ground Garbanzo Bean Flour)
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 fresh figs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, flaxseeds and salt. Stir in 3/4 cup water until well combined (consistency will be like a thick batter). Cover in bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Arrange 1 oven rack in top position and 1 rack in center. Preheat broiler to high. Mist both sides of eggplant with cooking spray and arrange on a large, rimmed, nonstick baking sheet. Broil, turning once, for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Remove eggplant from sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 425°F. Arrange a large square of parchment paper on a flat work surface. Transfer dough to parchment and use a rubber spatula to spread into a 9 x 12-inch rectangle. Carefully transfer parchment with dough to baking sheet and bake on center rack for 10 minutes, until lightly golden and almost firm.
- Remove crust from oven and top with eggplant and fig. Sprinkle with cheese and bake on center rack for 10 more minutes, until light brown and crisp.
- To serve, drizzle with honey and top with mint.
Nutrients per serving (1 slice): Calories: 162, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 23 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 7 g, Sodium: 172 mg, Cholesterol: 5 mg