A side dish shouldn't take too long to prepare. Even so, with just 10 minutes of hands-on time, this deconstructed falafel salad is sure to add plenty of zip (and fiber) to your meal!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur wheat
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Zest of 1 lemon, plus juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Za’atar (TIP: Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice mixture that includes thyme, sumac, marjoram and sesame. Look for it in the spice aisle or in the ethnic food section of your supermarket.)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small field-grown cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15-oz BPA-free can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed (TRY: Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans)
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain kefir or nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Stir in bulgur, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes, until tender and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing: In a small bowl, combine garlic, lemon zest and juice, Za’atar and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, kefir and bulgur and toss to combine. Drizzle dressing over top and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until cold.
Nutrients per serving (1 cup): Calories: 197, Total Fat: 1 g, Sat. Fat: 0 g, Carbs: 37 g, Fiber: 8 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 11.5 g, Sodium: 164 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
Nutritional Bonus: Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, might be the best way to eat yourself slim! Studies link the hearty beans to increased overall dietary satisfaction. In turn, this sense of satisfaction in what you’re eating leads to decreased snacking on processed foods and a tendency to consume less food overall!
Try this versatile side with poultry, shrimp or grilled veggies! You can also make this salad up to 2 days in advance.